Saturday, September 3, 2011

Isn't it supposed to rain at manatoc?

Ok, like the day ends in Y, beer is always delicious and every meal gets dessert today was supposed to be rainy. For the three readers we have, it wasn't. It was fucking miserably hot, by all accounts the mid 90s at race time. I lined up to start and from the jump a few things were evident.

1. I'm slow
2. I was dehydrated when I started
3. I was not having fun.

I took off, got dropped by the pack and lapsed into my old routine of racing alone. Until about halfway down the course and I veered into a totally unseen section. Apparently I had mis-rode the warm up lap and did a bunch of the mountain bike course. First Lap was horrible, figuring out unknown paths at whatever speed I could muster up without losing it.
Second lap felt OK, not great. I was clearly hurting and not doing well but that's not news to me. I finish up and start on my third. I ate it hard coming up a small steep hill and bounced my head off the ground. At this point I was lapped by the geared riders, which wasn't at all fun for me to see.
I came around to the finish and it all went sideways. I had trouble seeing and was having some problems due to the crash. I called it and walked off, completely defeated. And feeling like a piece of shit.

On positive notes, Alex did really well, as did Will, and I'm really proud of both of them. I'm hoping cooler climates will help me. Although it's apparent I need a racing helmet. My bern was baking my brain the whole time.

Oh well, I got kitties to hang with and shit to do. See you guys back out there on the course next week, where I'll no doubt fail again.

Mahalo
Dave.

1 comment:

  1. Get yourself a real helmet son! That noggin of yours has to breath! If you don't piss at least 3 or 4 times before your race (regardless of the weather) and shit (at least!) once. You're doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete